A public service brought to you by the Smart Meter Safety Coalition
Now that the Maine Public Utilities Commission has ruled that it is “unreasonable” for Central Maine Power to force every customer to accept a wireless meter, and that it is “in the public interest” for customers to opt-out, here’s a candid look at the information you won’t find in CMP’s promotional materials.
It’s information you need to decide whether the purported benefits of a smart meter outweigh the documented risks to health, safety, privacy and cybersecurity.
Here’s why people, communities and governments around the world are rejecting smart meters:
- Radiofrequency interference causing malfunctioning of wireless equipment such as Wi-Fi and Netflix
- Radiofrequency interference causing malfunctioning of medical equipment such as pacemakers and wireless insulin pumps
- Radiofrequency spikes causing appliances to break
- Health effects like migraines, nausea, vomiting, muscle spasms, heart palpitations and sleeplessness caused by intense bursts of radiofrequency radiation that has just been classified as a “possible carcinogen” by the World Health Organization — in the same category as lead, engine exhaust and DDT
- Cybersecurity breaches
- Excessive billing
- Interception of personal identity information
- Electrical fires